16 plus and Mentoring Services
Keys 16 Plus is a division of the Keys Group offering support ed individual packages to Young people aged 16-21 years old and mentoring to children of any age.
At 16 Plus we recognise the benefit for young people to experience mentoring, support and guidance from adults in developing their own independence skills and self reliance. Therefore we offer a variety of packages including, accommodation, individual tailored support hours, mentoring, advocacy and
guidance for education, training, development and housing applications.
16 Plus work with statutory bodies, parents and others with parental responsibility to assist our young people to develop their self-care and independent living skills, self reliance and decision making appropriate to their age and encourage opportunities to gain independence.
16 Plus currently offer different packages, including shared accommodation, individual supported accommodation, sleep-in staff and mentoring in young people’s own accommodation (which can be provided to children of any age.)
16 Plus aims to provide a positive experience for young people as they grow and develop into young adults. In doing so 16 Plus provides opportunities supported by adults in exercising independence while maintaining security and knowledge that help is at hand.
In addition 16 Plus is a responsive service reflective of changing times and developments. 16 Plus recognise the need for individuality and tailored programs for each young person. Supported by a strong experienced staff team 16 Plus engages continually to meet the expressed needs of the young people.
16 Plus is committed to helping young people who are moving towards making the transition to independent living. Using the Keys Independent Training Programme our 16 Plus Young People
learn skills and complete tasks which help equip them to live completely independently.
Our ultimate aim for our 16 Plus Young People is to enable them to live totally independently; to sustain their own tenancy and be a responsible member of the community, while achieving their dreams.
16 Plus Objectives:
- To offer a realistic alternative to home or foster care in a supportive and caring home-like environment;
- To maximise the development of each individual, working with them to build or rebuild positive self-esteem;
- To provide a safe, peaceful and stimulating environment in which positive responses can be made to the social, cultural, developmental and psychological problems experienced by any young person;
- To restore, encourage and maintain the highest standards of personal, physical and mental health and hygiene for all the young people;
- To provide a programme to enhance moral, cultural, social, educational, spiritual, religious and overall development of all individuals who are placed with us;
- To encourage young people to acquire skills through learning formally and informally, and to use those skills to procure further learning and employment opportunities;
- To assist, support and encourage self development and the acceptance of duties associated with being a responsible member of our society;
- To help young people to refrain from unproductive behaviour and to participate in activities which are conductive to their short and long term goals;
- To support young people to challenge or overcome problems associated with rejection, frustration and persecution on any grounds (i.e. age, gender, sexual orientation, and race);
- To assist those of an appropriate age in the preparations necessary for leaving care in order that they may lead fulfilling and productive lives beyond the experience of care;
- To give young people the best chance at living “ordinary” lives.